Subject: Re: [BUG] New Kernel Bugs

From: Andrew Morton <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 14:43:20 -0800

On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 23:24:14 +0100 Jörn Engel <[email-masked]> wrote:

> On Tue, 13 November 2007 13:56:58 -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
> > 
> > It's relatively common that a regression in subsystem A will manifest as a
> > failure in subsystem B, and the report initially lands on the desk of the
> > subsystem B developers.
> > 
> > But that's OK.  The subsystem B people are the ones with the expertise to
> > be able to work out where the bug resides and to help the subsystem A
> > people understand what went wrong.
> > 
> > Alas, sometimes the B people will just roll eyes and do nothing because
> > they know the problem wasn't in their code.  Sometimes.
> 
> And sometimes the A people will ignore the B people after the root cause
> has been worked out.  Do you have a good idea how to shame A into
> action?  Should I put you on Cc:?  Right now I'm in the eye-rolling
> phase.
> 

Well, that's the problem, isn't it?

The best I can come up with is to suggest that all the info be captured in
a bugzilla report so that at least it doesn't get forgotten about.

I suppose that other options are

a) try to fix it yourself.  I'll take the patch and as long as we make a
   big enough mess of it, someone who knows what they're doing might fix it
   for real.

b) If it was a regression, identify the offending commit and we'll just
   revert it.