Subject: Re: [BUG] New Kernel Bugs

From: Russell King <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 22:18:01 +0000

On Tue, Nov 13, 2007 at 12:52:22PM -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 19:32:19 +0000 Russell King <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > There's another issue I want to raise concerning bugzilla.  We have the
> > classic case of "not enough people reading bugzilla bugs" - which is one
> > of the biggest problems with bugzilla.  Virtually no one in the ARM
> > community looks for ARM bugs in bugzilla.
> 
> Nor should they.

So what you're saying is...

> > Let's not forget that it would be a waste of time for people to manually
> > check bugzilla for ARM bugs.  There's soo few people reporting ARM bugs
> > into bugzilla that a weekly manual check by every maintainer would just
> > return the same old boring results for months and months at a time.
> 
> I screen all bugzilla reports.  100% of them.
> 
> - I'll try to establish whether it is a regression
> 
> - I'll solicit any extra information which I believe the reveloper will need
> 
> - I'll ensure that an appropriate developer has seen the report
> 
> And yes, the number of arm-specific reports in there is very small.

that just because you do this everyone in a select clique, who you include
me in, should be doing this as well.

No.  Thank.  You.

> > It would be far more productive if the ARM category was deleted from
> > bugzilla and the few people who use bugzilla reported their bugs on the
> > mailing list.  We've a couple of thousand people on the ARM kernel
> > mailing list at the moment - that's 3 orders of magnitude more of eyes
> > than look at bugzilla.
> 
> Is that [email-masked]?

Yes.

> If so, MANITAINERS claims that it is subscribers-only.  That would cause
> some bug reporters to give up and go away.

Find some other mailing list; I'm not hosting *nor* am I willing to run a
non-subscribers only mailing list.  Period.  Not negotiable, so don't even
try to change my mind.

-- 
Russell King
 Linux kernel    2.6 ARM Linux   - http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/
 maintainer of: