Subject: Re: 2.6.24-rc2-mm1 -- strange apparent network failures

From: Kevin Winchester <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2007 08:48:35 -0400

On November 17, 2007 01:16:58 am Andrew Morgan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This warning is just saying that you might want to reconsider
> recompiling your dhclient with a newer libcap - which has native support
> for 64-bit capabilities. This is supposed to be informative, and not be
> associated with any particular error.
>
> From your comments, you believe that this patch causes something in your
> boot process to fail. Can you supply some detail about the version of
> dhclient you are using? I'd like to understand exactly what it is doing
> (via libcap).
>
> Thanks
>

The boot succeeds (and appears to bring initialize the network adapter 
properly - it autonegotiates a 100Mbps link speed), but the dhcp client is 
never able to get an address.  However, applying the rc2-mm1 patch series up 
to just before:

  add-64-bit-capability-support-to-the-kernel.patch

results in a working kernel.  Applying just this patch causes the failure.  To 
be sure, I also tried applying the above patch plus the following ones:

  add-64-bit-capability-support-to-the-kernel-checkpatch-fixes.patch
  add-64-bit-capability-support-to-the-kernel-fix.patch
  add-64-bit-capability-support-to-the-kernel-fix-fix.patch
  remove-unnecessary-include-from-include-linux-capabilityh.patch

but the problem still occurs even with all of these.

As to versions, I'm running Kubuntu gutsy, so I have the default:

dhcp3-client           3.0.5-3ubuntu4
libcap1                1:1.10-14build1

packages installed.

Let me know if you need any other information, or if you have a patch you 
would like tested.

-- 
Kevin Winchester