Subject: Re: [PATCH] Compact sk_stream_mem_schedule() code

From: Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 17:30:59 -0200

Em Mon, Nov 19, 2007 at 03:13:44PM +0300, Pavel Emelyanov escreveu:
> This function references sk->sk_prot->xxx for many times.
> It turned out, that there's so many code in it, that gcc 
> cannot always optimize access to sk->sk_prot's fields.
> 
> After saving the sk->sk_prot on the stack and comparing
> disassembled code, it turned out that the function became
> ~10 bytes shorter and made less dereferences (on i386 and 
> x86_64). Stack consumption didn't grow.
> 
> Besides, this patch drives most of this function into the
> 80 columns limit.
> 
> Signed-off-by: Pavel Emelyanov <[email-masked]>

I wonder if making it 'const struct proto *prot = sk->sk_prot;'

would make any difference.

Acked-by: Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo <[email-masked]>