Subject: Re: [PATCH RFC] [1/9] Core module symbol namespaces code and intro.

From: Rusty Russell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 11:29:25 +1100

On Thursday 22 November 2007 22:46:23 Andi Kleen wrote:
> On Thursday 22 November 2007 04:56, Rusty Russell wrote:
> >     This is an interesting idea, thanks for the code!  My only question
> > is whether we can get most of this benefit by dropping the indirection of
> > namespaces and have something like "EXPORT_SYMBOL_TO(sym, modname)"?  It
> > doesn't work so well for exporting to a group of modules, but that seems
> > a reasonable line to draw anyway.
>
> That would explode quickly already even for my example "inet" namespace.
> It already has several modules.  I don't think so much duplication would be
> a good idea.

Yes, and if a symbol is already used by multiple modules, it's generically 
useful.  And if so, why restrict it to in-tree modules?

If your real intent is to bias against out-of-tree modules, let's just 
generate a list of in-tree module names, and restrict some or all exports to 
that set.

Rusty.