Subject: Re: [PATCH] bridge: assign random address

From: Andrew Morton <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2007 14:29:15 -0800

On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 13:37:17 -0800 (PST) David Miller <[email-masked]> wrote:

> From: Stephen Hemminger <[email-masked]>
> Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 15:48:35 -0800
> 
> > Subject: Re: [PATCH] bridge: assign random address
> 
> "bridge" should all-caps and in brackets,

No, "bridge" should not be in [].  Lots of people's patch-receiving scripts
assume that any text in [] is to be removed as the patch is committed.  It
contains text which is only relevant to the particular email which carried
the patch.  Stuff like "patch" and "4/5" and "linux-2.6.23", etc.

> "assign random address"
> should be capitalized like a proper english sentence with a period at
> the end.

Actually I usually remove the caps and the waste-of-space period, but
that's much less important than the brackets abuse.  The bracket convention
is quite useful and I've often wondered why I need to edit the patch title
when I merge up patches from net developers ;)