Subject: Re: [usb regression] Re: [PATCH 2.6.24-rc3] Fix /proc/net breakage

From: Greg KH <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2007 11:26:43 -0800

On Mon, Dec 31, 2007 at 12:49:52PM -0500, Alan Stern wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Dec 2007, Greg KH wrote:
> 
> > > It looks like Greg misused the debugfs API -- which is ironic, because
> > > he wrote debugfs in the first place!  :-)
> > 
> > Oh crap, sorry, I did mess that up :(
> > 
> > > Let me know if this patch fixes the problem.  If it does, I'll submit 
> > > it to Greg with all the proper accoutrements.
> > 
> > This isn't going to work if CONFIG_DEBUGFS is not enabled either :(
> 
> Why not?  The debugging files won't be created, true, but the driver
> should work just fine regardless.  This is exactly the way uhci-hcd
> behaves, and it hasn't caused any problems.

Ok, you are right, it was late and after some wine and I shouldn't have
been responding to email :)

I'll rework this, and send out a patch tonight or tomorrow when I get a
chance (am on the road right now).  We should only care about NULL being
returned here, that's the only "real" error.

And in thinking about it some more, I should go audit all the debugfs
callers to make sure they are doing something sane too, it shouldn't be
this complex at all...

thanks,

greg k-h