Subject: Re: 2.6.24-rc6-mm1

From: Jarek Poplawski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2008 14:30:31 +0100

On 04-01-2008 11:23, Torsten Kaiser wrote:
> On Jan 2, 2008 10:51 PM, Herbert Xu <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jan 02, 2008 at 07:29:59PM +0100, Torsten Kaiser wrote:
>>> Vanilla 2.6.24-rc6 seems stable. I did not see any crash or warnings.
>> OK that's great.  The next step would be to try excluding specific git
>> trees from mm to see if they make a difference.
>>
>> The two specific trees of interest would be git-nfsd and git-net.
> 
> git-nfsd from git://git.linux-nfs.org/projects/bfields/linux.git#for-mm
> -> compiling and installing 54 packages worked without crashes.
> 
> git-net from git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/davem/net-2.6.25.git
> -> compiling and installing 95 packages worked without crashes.
...
> I will enable CONFIG_IOMMU_DEBUG in -rc6-mm1 and see, as otherwise I
> have no clue where to look...

Hi,

A few questions/suggestions:

- is it still vanilla -rc6-mm1; I've seen on kernel list you tried
some fixes around raid?

- could you remind this lockdep warning; is it always and the same,
always before crash, or no rules?

- I've seen you looked after double freeing, but this last debug list
warning could suggest locking problems during list modification too.

- above git-nfsd and git-net tests should be probably repeated with
-rc6-mm1 git versions: so vanilla rc6 plus both these -mm patches
only, and if bug triggers, with one reversed; btw., since in previous
message you mentioned that 50 packages could be not enough to trigger
this, these 54 above could make too little margin yet.

Regards,
Jarek P.