Subject: Re: Top 10 kernel oopses for the week ending January 5th, 2008

From: "J. Bruce Fields" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 12:44:31 -0500

On Sat, Jan 05, 2008 at 09:39:35PM +0000, Al Viro wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 05, 2008 at 01:06:17PM -0800, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> > The http://www.kerneloops.org website collects kernel oops and
> > warning reports from various mailing lists and bugzillas as well as
> > with a client users can install to auto-submit oopses.
> > Below is a top 10 list of the oopses collected in the last 7 days.
> > (Reports prior to 2.6.23 have been omitted in collecting the top 10)
> > 
> > This week, a total of 49 oopses and warnings have been reported,
> > compared to 53 reports in the previous week.
> 
> FWIW, people moaning about the lack of entry-level kernel work would
> do well by decoding those to the level of "this place in this function,
> called from <here>, with so-and-so variable being <this>" and posting
> the results.  As skills go, it's far more useful than "how to trim
> the trailing whitespace" and the rest of checkpatch.pl-inspired crap
> that got so popular lately...

Is there any good basic documentation on this to point people at?

--b.