Subject: Re: [PATCH take2] Re: Nested VLAN causes recursive locking error

From: Jarek Poplawski <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 22:08:16 +0100

On Thu, Jan 10, 2008 at 04:31:22PM +0100, Patrick McHardy wrote:
...
> No, this seems fine, thanks. Even better would be a way to get
> the last lockdep subclass through lockdep somehow, but I couldn't
> find a clean way for this. So I've applied your patch and also
> fixed macvlan.

As a matter of fact this simplified version was done mainly to remove
this bad looking effect of a never decreased global. Of course, your
proposal with using parent's subclass + 1 would be better, if deeper
nestings are required: so, I could try to enhance this (probably with
such additional lockdep macro) after some hint.

But still some 'quirks' are possible there: removing and adding
devices 'properly' would often require resetting of many subclasses,
so quite a lot of activities if more devices. And probably not very
common if not requested until now...

Thanks,
Jarek P.