Subject: Re: questions on NAPI processing latency and dropped network packets

From: Jarek Poplawski <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 07:58:36 +0100

On Wed, Jan 16, 2008 at 11:17:08AM +1100, Herbert Xu wrote:
...
> Well people are always going to operate on this model for commercial
> reasons.  FWIW I used to work for a company that stuck to a specific
> version of the Linux kernel, and I suppose I still do even now :)
> 
> But the important thing is that if you're going to do that, then the
> cost that comes with it should be borne by the company and not the
> community.

Sure. But the most sad thing is there seems to be not so much savings
in this (unless a company isn't sure of its near future). Trying to
upgrade and test current products with current kernels, even if not
necessary, should be always useful and make developing of new products
faster and better fit (and of course, BTW, make the kernel better on
time).

Regards,
Jarek P.