Subject: Re: 2.6.24 regression: reference count leak in PPPoE

From: Ingo Molnar <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2008 21:01:09 +0100

* Andi Kleen <[email-masked]> wrote:

> My workstation running 2.6.24-rc8 just hung during shutdown with an 
> endless (or rather I didn't wait more than a few minutes) loop of
> 
> unregister_netdev: waiting for ppp-device to become free. Usage count 
> = 1
> 
> ppp-device was an active PPPoE device.
> 
> No more information currently.

i've seen such problems (locked up box with endless loop of usage count 
== 1) with pppoe in the past, and it seemed to be related to dynamic 
IPs. (i saw that well before 2.6.24 - reported it once to davem)

It seems to have stopped when i stopped using ipsec and started using 
vpnc. (but no firm info - this was sporadic - happened every few months 
or so) Are you using ipsec and dynamic IPs by any chance?

	Ingo