Subject: Re: [Bugme-new] [Bug 9816] New: cannot replace route

From: Jarek Poplawski <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2008 12:40:36 +0100

On Sat, Jan 26, 2008 at 02:16:01PM +0900, Joonwoo Park wrote:
> 2008/1/26, Andrew Morton <[email-masked]>:
> >
> > But whatever.   It used to work.  People's scripts will break.  Regression.
> >
> 
> Also I thought that 'replace with itself' should be error as like Jarek.
> But it used to work and patch made a regression, it's my bad :(

Actually, I don't think 'replace with itself' should be an error. I've
only meant that lack of this possibility shouldn't be necessarily seen
as error - there could be arguments for both sides.

IMHO, there should be simply analyzed pros and cons of doing it in
this particular place, so: if there is any gain in doing this, and if
possible complications or problems with performance, security etc.
don't prevail such a gain.

And I don't think a regression argument should be valid at all if
there are removed any unlogical, error-prone or otherwise problematic
options (I don't know if this is such case), even if they are not
obvious bugs - especially if it's still possible to do the same
'proper' way.

Regards,
Jarek P.