Subject: Re: [PATCH] Disable TSO for non standard qdiscs

From: Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 21:10:45 -0200

Em Thu, Jan 31, 2008 at 11:39:55AM -0800, Waskiewicz Jr, Peter P escreveu:
> > The philosophical problem I have with this suggestion is that 
> > I expect that the large majority of users will be more happy 
> > with disabled TSO if they use non standard qdiscs and 
> > defaults that do not fit the majority use case are bad.
> > 
> > Basically you're suggesting that nearly everyone using tc 
> > should learn about another obscure command.
> 
> If someone is using tc to load and configure a qdisc, I'd really hope
> knowing or learning ethtool wouldn't be a stretch for them...  And I'm
> not arguing the majority of people will want this or not, but taking
> away the ability to use TSO at the kernel level here without allowing a
> tuneable is making that decision for them, which is wrong IMO.

Well, it could be just that when using such qdiscs TSO would be
disabled, but the user could override this by using ethtool after
loading the qdiscs.

- Arnaldo