Subject: [PATCH 23/24 for-2.6.25] DM9000: Update retry count whilst identifying chip

From: Ben Dooks <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2008 00:02:22 +0000

Reading the ID register does not always return the correct ID
from the device, so we retry several times to see if we get
a correct value.

These failures seem to be excaserbated by the speed of the
access to the chip (possibly time between issuing the address
and then the data cycle).

Signed-off-by: Ben Dooks <[email-masked]>

Index: linux-2.6.24-quilt3/drivers/net/dm9000.c
===================================================================
--- linux-2.6.24-quilt3.orig/drivers/net/dm9000.c
+++ linux-2.6.24-quilt3/drivers/net/dm9000.c
@@ -643,7 +643,7 @@ dm9000_probe(struct platform_device *pde
 	dm9000_reset(db);
 
 	/* try two times, DM9000 sometimes gets the first read wrong */
-	for (i = 0; i < 2; i++) {
+	for (i = 0; i < 8; i++) {
 		id_val  = ior(db, DM9000_VIDL);
 		id_val |= (u32)ior(db, DM9000_VIDH) << 8;
 		id_val |= (u32)ior(db, DM9000_PIDL) << 16;

-- 
Ben ([email-masked], http://www.fluff.org/)

  'a smiley only costs 4 bytes'