Subject: Re: include/linux/pcounter.h

From: Ingo Molnar <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 10:24:54 +0100

* David Miller <[email-masked]> wrote:

> From: Andrew Morton <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 11:26:18 -0800
> 
> > On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 13:03:54 +0100 Eric Dumazet <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > 
> > > Yes, per connection basis. Some workloads want to open/close more 
> > > than 1000 sockets per second.
> > 
> > ie: slowpath
> 
> Definitely not slow path in the networking.
> 
> Connection rates are definitely as, or more, important than packet 
> rates for certain workloads.

but the main and fundamental question still remains unanswered (more 
than 3 weeks after Andrew asked that question): why was this piece of 
general infrastructure merged via net.git and not submitted to lkml 
ever? The code touching -mm does _not_ count as "review".

Now that there was review of it and there is clearly controversy, the 
code should be reverted/undone and resubmitted after all review 
observations have been addressed. Just sitting around and ignoring 
objections, hoping for the code to hit v2.6.25 is rather un-nice ...

	Ingo