Subject: Re: [regression] e1000e broke e1000

From: Ingo Molnar <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2008 22:33:14 +0200

* Jeff Garzik <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Ingo Molnar wrote:
>> i repeat, it took me more than an hour to figure out why there's no 
>> networking on my laptop. Guess how much it takes for a plain user to 
>> figure out the same problem.
>
> A plain user would have obtained a working distro kernel, putting this 
> rare problem purely in the laps of people with highly unusual kernel 
> configs...
>
> But as noted in the announcement, the fix is for this is to continue 
> in the next step in the transition, then you only have one driver 
> claiming those IDs, for any given config.  No need for further Kconfig 
> tweakage.

i find it mindboggling and rather sad that you are still in denial :-(

this is an obvious regression to me, with a very simple fix. No other 
PCI driver breaks like this. We've got three thousand Kconfig options - 
it is clearly not realistic for users to keep such details in mind to 
avoid pitfalls. E1000=y && E1000E=m is uncommon but can easily happen. 
E1000=y && E1000E=m simply makes no sense in light of the PCI ID 
stealing that occurs if E1000E is enabled.

	Ingo

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by the 2008 JavaOne(SM) Conference 
Register now and save $200. Hurry, offer ends at 11:59 p.m., 
Monday, April 7! Use priority code J8TLD2. 
http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;198757673;13503038;p?http://java.sun.com/javaone