Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] e1000 to e1000e migration of PCI Express devices

From: Ingo Molnar <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 21:08:36 +0200

* Ingo Molnar <[email-masked]> wrote:

> * Kok, Auke <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> > From kernel 2.6.26 onward all *PCI Express* device IDs previously 
> > supported by e1000 will be moving to the e1000e driver.  This 
> > includes ich8 and ich9 onboard LAN, server 5000 platform onboard LAN 
> > (es2) and 82571/2/3 chipset based adapters and variants.
> > 
> > If you have not already enabled CONFIG_E1000E make sure that you do 
> > so. You can already do this with 2.6.25.  From 2.6.26 on this change 
> > will be required if you have such a device.
> 
> i'm not sure it's a good idea to unsupport hardware in a driver. It's 
> OK to phase out a driver and restrict it to legacy hardware, it's OK 
> to have an opt-in .config option for distros to select (or maybe even 
> opt-out) to narrow down the number of PCI IDs that a driver 
> recognizes, but lets not artificially break setups that worked before.

perhaps all the opposition with regard to the regression roots back to 
this section i said, so i take this objection back - it looks quite 
acceptable to do the migration the way you implemented it, considering 
the choices.

except for the E1000=y && E1000E=m regression that bit me - that should 
be solved and everyone will be happy.

	Ingo

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by the 2008 JavaOne(SM) Conference 
Don't miss this year's exciting event. There's still time to save $100. 
Use priority code J8TL2D2. 
http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;198757673;13503038;p?http://java.sun.com/javaone