Subject: Re: [ANN] WiMAX stack and drivers for Intel WiMAX Link 5050

From: Andi Kleen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 22:31:38 +0200

On Wed, Apr 09, 2008 at 11:09:24AM -0700, Inaky Perez-Gonzalez wrote:
> On Tuesday 08 April 2008, Andi Kleen wrote:
> 
> > > version: I anticipate the wimax API exported to user space is
> > > going to undergo a lot of changes while we all agree on what
> > > is the best interface. Because things might break, I want to
> > > make sure user space stuff can detect that and fail cleanly. 
> > > Hence the versioning. 
> > 
> > It's still a bad way to do that (I agree with Stephen on that).
> > Was also always a mess on wireless.
> > 
> > If you don't want expandable TLAs another better alternative to 
> > versions is ext2 style compatible/incompatible feature bitmaps.
> 
> Ain't that another way of saying versions? Sorry guys, but I am 

It's a related way, but an actually sane way.

With compat/incompat bitmaps user space can actually make a educated
decision if it should fail or not

-Andi