Subject: Re: udev can't name PS3's network devices correctly

From: [email-masked] (Marco d'Itri)
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 14:51:00 +0200

On Apr 14, David Woodhouse <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Actually it's a generic problem. It also occurs on OLPC, where the
> libertas wireless device presents two interfaces with the same MAC
And on some Sun systems as well.

> > Unconditionally adding a KERNEL key means that persistent names will
> > break if a driver changes the base name (e.g. wlan* -> eth*).
> Drivers shouldn't do that. It'll change the name of the device and may
But they do...

> We could modify the libertas and gelic (and any other affected) drivers
> to provide a dev_id, make sure it's exported in sysfs, and then use that
> in the udev rules. Would that make you happy?
Yes, I like not fixing just the symptoms. :-)

> It has implications w.r.t. the autoconfigured IPv6 addresses of those
> devices,
How so?

> > This workaround should be confined to the PS3 install media, there is
> > no reason to add it to general-purpose distributions.
> Our general-purpose distribution installs and runs on PS3. :)
So if PS3 needs special hacks they should be special-cased to only by
used on PS3 hardware.

-- 
ciao,
Marco