Subject: Re: [PATCH RFC] net/core: API to create/destroy /sys/class/net entries

From: David Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 23:36:44 -0700 (PDT)

From: Jay Vosburgh <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 18:06:26 -0700

> 	Bonding creates a file in sysfs, /sys/class/net/bonding_masters,
> which is used to create and destroy bonding devices.  Currently, when
> bonding is loaded, it does some poking through the device structure of
> the first bonding device to find the net_class, and then uses that
> pointer to create the file (by calling class_create_file).

As Stephen stated this was a horrible decision, that directory is for
network device instances, that's why the class variable is called
"netdev_class" not "dump_all_yer_networking_shit_here_class"

The only saving grace is that bonding creates a file, not a
directory, so "scan for all directories under /sys/class/net/"
schemes still work.

Water under the bridge I suppose, and we're stuck with this.

I guess your proposal is the best, as if we export netdev_class
people can do other funky, undesirable, things with it.

Please submit the final version of your patch, I'll apply it.