Subject: Re: Reporting bugs and bisection

From: Al Viro <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 21:16:57 +0100

On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 12:35:12PM -0700, Ray Lee wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 12:09 PM, Rafael J. Wysocki <[email-masked]> wrote:
> >  > Finger-pointing, in these extreme cases, gives incentive to improve
> >  > quality.  It's a positive thing.
> >
> >  Sorry, but I have to disagree.  Negative finger-pointing is never a good thing.
> 
> Correct, but let's be careful here. The original suggestion was,
> effectively, to get better metrics on the quality of contributions.

	There already is one: reputation with people working on the tree,
be it actively modifying/reviewing/bug hunting/etc.  _We_ _already_ _know_;
generally one gets a decent idea of what to expect pretty soon.

	And frankly, that's the only thing that matters anyway; I suspect
I'd do rather well by proposed criteria, but you know what?  I don't give
a flying f*ck through the rolling doughnut for self-appointed PHBs and
their idea of performance reviews.

	Think of it as a modified Turing test: convince me that you are
not a script piped through an Eng.Lit. wanker or an MBA, then I might care
for your opinion.

	Al, who never had problems with pointing fingers and laughing, but
likes an informed human brain to be the source of it...