Subject: Re: [stable] [PATCH] ARCH 2.6.25.y: Fix 32-bit x86 MSI-X allocation leakage

From: Greg KH <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 10:38:02 -0700

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 06:00:26PM -0700, PJ Waskiewicz wrote:
> This bug was introduced in the 2.6.24 i386/x86_64 tree merge, where
> MSI-X vector allocation will eventually fail.  The cause is the new
> bit array tracking used vectors is not getting cleared properly on
> IRQ destruction on the 32-bit APIC code.
> 
> This can be seen easily using the ixgbe 10 GbE driver on multi-core
> systems by simply loading and unloading the driver a few times.
> Depending on the number of available vectors on the host system, the
> MSI-X allocation will eventually fail, and the driver will only be
> able to use legacy interrupts.
> 
> Signed-off-by: Peter P Waskiewicz Jr <[email-masked]>
> ---

When sending patches to -stable, please add "CC: stable
<[email-masked]> to the patch itself in the signed-off-by area, that
way we get notified automatically when it goes into Linus's tree so that
we can then know to apply it to the tree.  Otherwise it's a tough job to
try to track all of these knowing when to watch out for them to be
committed.

Can you please resend them to [email-masked] when they do go into
Linus's tree?

thanks,

greg k-h