Subject: Re: [RFC] [DCCP]: Deprecate SOCK_DCCP in favour of SOCK_DGRAM

From: Rémi Denis-Courmont <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 20:06:34 +0300

Le Tuesday 13 May 2008 19:59:35 David Stevens, vous avez écrit :
>         Well, SOCK_STREAM/IPPROTO_DCCP then. :-) But it isn't really that
> either, as Remi said.
>         If you do a connect() on a UDP socket, it doesn't cease to
> be a SOCK_DGRAM socket, so I don't really care about that distinction,
> but if others do, that's ok with me. There are ACKs here, too, so maybe.

But connect() is a _non-blocking_ operation which merely sets the _default_ 
destination (you can still sendto() someone else).

Using socket types blindly may also break applications using 
getsockopt(SO_TYPE), if they exists (I think I wrote one once...) to 
determine how to use a socket.

SOCK_DCCP was perhaps a bad idea, but SOCK_DGRAM seems worse. In the end, it's 
more a matter of patching libc getaddrinfo than changing the kernel API 
anyway. Did AIX not have a similar socket type as DCCP under a more generic 
name by the way?

-- 
Rémi Denis-Courmont
http://www.remlab.net/