Subject: Re: Linux Wireless Mini-Summit -- Ottawa -- July 22, 2008

From: "John W. Linville" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 13:42:46 -0400

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 06:05:13PM +0300, Guy Cohen wrote:
> I think that probably the most burning topics were a little diminished
> in our agenda, and should be put higher:
> - cfg80211/nl80211 - much of the current wext begins to fall behind
> the emerging capabilities of the mac80211 and moreover - from future
> abilities and needs of future fullmac devices. The functionality and
> ABI to userspace must be finalized as soon as possible. The status of
> this is very unclear and should be treated more thoroughly, and it
> seems it can't be shared with 5 other topics in less than 2 hours.

FWIW, I listed this one first under Future Work.

> - fullmac support - seems to be very relevant in the next couple of
> years with the integration of wifi into low power devices running
> linux.

Not sure exactly what you mean with this one.  Are you talking about
the lib80211 line item?  Or enhancements to the mac80211 component
to support full(er) MAC designs?

> I think that these two topics should take precedence over other topics
> that although important consume more time in the agenda, and are
> currently less likely to have impact on the average users such as 11s
> and 11w.
> 
> it would be good if these topics will get substantial time slot in the agenda.

There are lots of items listed, and I'm not sure we will cover all
of them.  If there are any that you would like to suggest be dropped
completely then please do so.

That said, I don't think we have enough time for real working sessions
on Tuesday.  I think it would be better just to touch on a variety
of topics that can benefit from some face-to-face discussions.
>>From that perspective, I think some status reports and some brief
proposals are most appropriate.

I'll post a revised (mostly just augmented) agenda proposal today.

John
-- 
John W. Linville
[email-masked]