Subject: Re: [PATCH take 2] net_sched: Add qdisc __NET_XMIT_BYPASS flag

From: Jarek Poplawski <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2008 23:03:33 +0200

On Mon, Aug 04, 2008 at 09:35:35PM +0300, Jussi Kivilinna wrote:
> Quoting "Jarek Poplawski" <[email-masked]>:
>
>>
>> These 2 patches aren't supposed to fix these problems:
>>
>> - the __NET_XMIT_STOLEN patch fixes a problem when a qdiscs passed
>>   upwards NET_XMIT_SUCCESS when eg. an skb was stolen by an action,
>>   to prevent treating this as dropped; then the upper qdiscs couldn't
>>   tell it's not the full NET_XMIT_SUCCESS and counted it as queued,
>>   which was wrong. (BTW, I especially tried to do it with minimal
>>   changes in htb_enqueue() to let you apply your htb patch without
>>   much editing.)
>>
>> - the __NET_XMIT_BYPASS actually doesn't fix any serious problem, but
>>   lets to remove the mapping from dev_queue_xmit(), and BTW it passes
>>   better information to upper qdiscs too.
>>
>
> This seems to also make sure that when returning 'full'  
> NET_XMIT_SUCCESS, skb pointer is safe(r?) to use now.

I guess so... At least theoretically - I was mainly afraid of
redirecting, which isn't fully implemented yet. On the other hand,
outwards of qdiscs there is still no difference.

Jarek P.