Subject: Re: [PATCH 3/3] pkt_sched: restore multiqueue prio scheduler

From: Jarek Poplawski <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 09:36:32 +0000

On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 06:16:28AM +0000, Jarek Poplawski wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 24, 2008 at 08:03:11PM -0700, Alexander Duyck wrote:
...
> > What I am planning to implement at this point is a simple multi-band
> > qdisc that assigns the band number based on queue mapping.  This
> > combined with something like the rr_dequeue from the original qdisc
> > will resolve the head-of-line issues.  Essentially it will try to
> > mimic the way the pfifo_fast qdiscs work with hardware multiqueue, but
> > it will have the ability to classify traffic and be stuck with one
> > spin lock for all queues.
...
> I agree with you that a separate qdisc, or actually some aliases, like
> this older sch_rr, and maybe also independent sch_prio_mq with .enqueue
> and .dequeue overridden, look most sensible to me.

On the other hand, if these new qdiscs don't even need prio_classify(),
making it standalone looks better.

Jarek P.