Subject: [PATCH] 8139x: reduce message severity on driver overlap

From: Stephen Hemminger <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 18:04:27 -0700

The 8139 drivers are a source of error messages that confuse users.
Since this device can not be disambiguated by normal PCI device id's two drivers
match the same info. But the module utilities seem to correctly handle this overlap,
they try one driver, then if that doesn't load try the other. Therefore there is
no need for a message to be logged with error level severity, just using info
level instead. Can't be completely silent because user might have configure one driver
and forgot the other one.

Signed-off-by: Stephen Hemminger <[email-masked]>

--- a/drivers/net/8139cp.c	2008-10-21 17:51:23.000000000 -0700
+++ b/drivers/net/8139cp.c	2008-10-21 17:58:00.000000000 -0700
@@ -1836,10 +1836,9 @@ static int cp_init_one (struct pci_dev *
 
 	if (pdev->vendor == PCI_VENDOR_ID_REALTEK &&
 	    pdev->device == PCI_DEVICE_ID_REALTEK_8139 && pdev->revision < 0x20) {
-		dev_err(&pdev->dev,
-			   "This (id %04x:%04x rev %02x) is not an 8139C+ compatible chip\n",
+		dev_info(&pdev->dev,
+			   "This (id %04x:%04x rev %02x) is not an 8139C+ compatible chip, use 8139too\n",
 		           pdev->vendor, pdev->device, pdev->revision);
-		dev_err(&pdev->dev, "Try the \"8139too\" driver instead.\n");
 		return -ENODEV;
 	}
 
--- a/drivers/net/8139too.c	2008-10-21 17:51:27.000000000 -0700
+++ b/drivers/net/8139too.c	2008-10-21 17:58:01.000000000 -0700
@@ -946,10 +946,9 @@ static int __devinit rtl8139_init_one (s
 	if (pdev->vendor == PCI_VENDOR_ID_REALTEK &&
 	    pdev->device == PCI_DEVICE_ID_REALTEK_8139 && pdev->revision >= 0x20) {
 		dev_info(&pdev->dev,
-			   "This (id %04x:%04x rev %02x) is an enhanced 8139C+ chip\n",
+			   "This (id %04x:%04x rev %02x) is an enhanced 8139C+ chip, use 8139cp\n",
 		       	   pdev->vendor, pdev->device, pdev->revision);
-		dev_info(&pdev->dev,
-			   "Use the \"8139cp\" driver for improved performance and stability.\n");
+		return -ENODEV;
 	}
 
 	if (pdev->vendor == PCI_VENDOR_ID_REALTEK &&