Subject: Current git r8169 driver often misses link at boot

From: Andi Kleen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 21:11:58 +0200

Hi,

I have a nfsroot test system with a r8169 NIC. Since I updated
from 2.6.27 to 2.6.27-git10 it doesn't find its root fs in 2 out of
3 boots. The r8169 gets detected, but there is never
a message that it finds the link in the failed cases:

r8169 Gigabit Ethernet driver 2.3LK-NAPI loaded
r8169 0000:02:00.0: PCI INT A -> GSI 18 (level, low) -> IRQ 18
r8169 0000:02:00.0: setting latency timer to 64
r8169 0000:02:00.0: irq 45 for MSI/MSI-X
eth0: RTL8168b/8111b at 0xffffc2000035a000, 00:00:00:00:00:00, XID 38000000 IRQ 
45

I tried to revert back to the 2.6.27 r8169.c and that fixed
the problem here. Didn't see a hang so far in 4 boots with
the old driver.

I also originally thought it was related to netconsole, but even
with that removed the problem still happens.

-Andi

-- 
[email-masked]