Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/2] sch_netem: Remove classful functionality

From: Stephen Hemminger <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 09:45:07 -0700

On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 13:20:10 +0000
Jarek Poplawski <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Patrick McHardy noticed that: "a lot of the functionality of netem
> requires the inner tfifo anyways and rate-limiting is usually done
> on top of netem. So I would suggest so either hard-wire the tfifo
> qdisc or at least make the assumption that inner qdiscs are
> work-conserving.", and later: "- a lot of other qdiscs still don't
> work as inner qdiscs of netem [...]".
> 
> So, according to his suggestion, this patch removes classful options
> of netem. The main reason of this change is to remove ops->requeue()
> method, which is currently used only by netem.
> 
> Signed-off-by: Jarek Poplawski <[email-masked]>
>

Okay, only if you add the following functionality back:
  * rate control, it doesn't have TBF, some other rate limiting
    is fine.

  * option for pure fifo or reordering based on jitter.

I have no problem with changing implementation as long as the same
feature set used by users remain.