Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/10] DMA-API debugging facility

From: Joerg Roedel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 18:20:46 +0100

On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 06:18:02PM +0100, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> 
> * David Woodhouse <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> > On Fri, 2008-11-21 at 17:57 +0100, Joerg Roedel wrote:
> > > Yes, in principle we could move most of it to generic code. There is
> > > nothing architecture specific in it.
> > > Anybody who prefers this to be arch/x86 before moving it to lib/?
> > 
> > I think it's better to start off with a generic version, and test it 
> > on more than one architecture before feeding it upstream. That way, 
> > you know you aren't going to have to go back to the drawing board 
> > with it.
> 
> Joerg, i'd suggest to make the generic conceptual bits generic, and 
> add an HAVE_DMA_DEBUG_SUPPORT Kconfig bool flag to every architecture 
> that enables it. It needs active changes to every architecture that 
> supports this facility.

Ok, I will move the generic bits to lib/ and include/linux and let
architectures decide if they want to use it.

Joerg

-- 
           |           AMD Saxony Limited Liability Company & Co. KG
 Operating |         Wilschdorfer Landstr. 101, 01109 Dresden, Germany
 System    |                  Register Court Dresden: HRA 4896
 Research  |              General Partner authorized to represent:
 Center    |             AMD Saxony LLC (Wilmington, Delaware, US)
           | General Manager of AMD Saxony LLC: Dr. Hans-R. Deppe, Thomas McCoy