Subject: Re: [PATCH] tcp: splice as many packets as possible at once

From: Jarek Poplawski <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 09:42:16 +0000

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 01:29:19AM -0800, David Miller wrote:
> From: Jarek Poplawski <[email-masked]>
> Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 08:53:08 +0000
> 
> > Actually, I still think my second approach (the PageSlab) is probably
> > (if tested) the easiest for now, because it should fix the reported
> > (Willy's) problem, without any change or copy overhead for splice to
> > file (which could be still wrong, but not obviously wrong).
> 
> It's a simple fix, but as Herbert stated it leaves other ->sendpage()
> implementations exposed to data corruption when the from side of the
> pipe buffer is a socket.

I don't think Herbert meant other ->sendpage() implementations, but I
could miss something.

> That, to me, is almost worse than a bad fix.
> 
> It's definitely worse than a slower but full fix, which the copy
> patch is.

Sorry, I can't see how this patch could make sendpage worse.

Jarek P.