Subject: Re: [PATCH v2] tcp: splice as many packets as possible at once

From: Evgeniy Polyakov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 00:21:30 +0300

Hi Jarek.

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 08:20:36AM +0000, Jarek Poplawski ([email-masked]) wrote:
> > 1. Network (tree) allocator
> > http://www.ioremap.net/projects/nta
> 
> I looked at this a bit, but alas I didn't find much for this Herbert's
> idea of payload in fragments/pages. Maybe some kind of API RFC is
> needed before this resurrection?

Basic idea is to steal some (probably a lot) pages from the slab
allocator and put network buffers there without strict need for
power-of-two alignment and possible wraps when we add skb_shared_info at
the end, so that old e1000 driver required order-4 allocations for the
jumbo frames. We can do that in alloc_skb() and friends and put returned
buffers into skb's fraglist and updated reference counters for those
pages; and with additional copy of the network headers into skb->head.

-- 
	Evgeniy Polyakov