Subject: Re: [PATCH v3] tcp: splice as many packets as possible at once

From: Jarek Poplawski <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 10:35:11 +0000

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 09:09:58PM +1100, Herbert Xu wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 07:54:18AM +0000, Jarek Poplawski wrote:
> > 
> > Yes, but ip_append_data() (and skb_append_datato_frags() for
> > NETIF_F_UFO only, so currently not a problem), uses this differently,
> > and these pages in sk->sk_sndmsg_page could leak or be used after
> > kfree. (I didn't track locking in these other places).
> 
> It'll be freed when the socket is freed so that should be fine.
> 

I don't think so: these places can overwrite sk->sk_sndmsg_page left
after tcp_sendmsg(), or skb_splice_bits() now, with NULL or a new
pointer without put_page() (they only reference copied chunks and
expect auto freeing). On the other hand, if tcp_sendmsg() reads after
them it could use a pointer after the page is freed, I guess.

Cheers,
Jarek P.