Subject: Re: [PATCH v2] tcp: splice as many packets as possible at once

From: Jarek Poplawski <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2009 08:08:55 +0000

On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 09:16:04AM +1100, Herbert Xu wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 01:42:27PM -0800, David Miller wrote:
...
> > Back to real life, I think long term the thing to do is to just do the
> > cached page allocator thing we'll be doing after Jarek's socket page
> > patch is integrated, and for best performance the driver has to
> > receive it's data into pages, only explicitly pulling the ethernet
> > header into the linear area, like NIU does.
> 
> Yes that sounds like the way to go.

Looks like a lot of changes in drivers, plus: would it work with jumbo
frames? I wonder why the linear area can't be allocated as paged, and
freed with put_page() instead of kfree(skb->head) in skb_release_data().

Actually, at least for some time, there could be used both of these
methods (on paged alloc failure) with some ifs in skb_release_data()
and spd_fill_page() (to check if linear_to_page() is needed).

Jarek P.