Subject: Re: Documentation:Update the INDEX of the documents

From: Theodore Tso <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 09:59:50 -0500

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 03:16:59PM +0800, Yang Hongyang wrote:
> There are so many 00-INDEX file that are missing description of the
> current files in the dir.  Such as 00-INDEX in
> Documentation/x86/,Documentation/networking/,Documentation/ and so
> on.
> 
> It's a large amount of work for someone to go through all these
> documents and make summaries.
> 
> I'm willing to do some of the work but if someone else pick these
> up(especially the authors of these new files) it will be a great
> help.^_^

Before you embark on this large amount of work, we should probably ask
a question first --- how useful are the 00-INDEX files?  I don't find
them particularly interesting, given that my normal way of finding
documentation in the Documentation directory is:

find . -type f | xargs grep <keyword>

Or, if I have a git tree of the Linux sources handy:

git grep <keyword> -- Documentation

If folks do find the 00-INDEX files useful, my suggestion would be to
make a way of automatically extracting them from the individual files
and/or directories, and then making the 00-INDEX files to be
automatically generated.

						- Ted