Subject: skb_over_panic kernel panic

From: Christian <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 21:10:13 -0400

Hello,

I keep getting kernel panics on my system with output similar to this:

skb_over_panic: text:fffffffff80456cc4 len:2580 put:2580
head:ffff9900bf18a000 data:ffff8800bf18a010 tail:0xa end:0x640 dev:eth0
--------[ cut here ] ----------
kernel BUG at net/core/skbuff.c:124!xt:ffffffff80456cc4 len:2580
put:2580 head:ffff8800bf18a000 data:ffff8800bf18a010 tail:0xa 
invalid opcode: 0000 [#1] SMP
last sysfs file: /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1f.0/resource
CPU 5
Modules linked in nvidia(P)
Pid: 0, comm: swapper Tainted: P        2.6.28.7 #3
RIP: 0010:[<ffffffff80531630>] [<ffffffff80531630>] skb_put+0x7a/0x89
RSP: 0018:ffff8801bf9b3dd0 EFLAGS: 00010282

(I copied this output by hand so there may be a typo or two) 

Linux server1 2.6.28.7 #3 SMP Mon Mar 9 20:04:12 EDT 2009 x86_64
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

Before this my kernel was 2.6.27.5 and I was still getting the same
panics.

eth0: RTL8168c/8111c at 0xffffc20000042000, 00:23:54:ed:7f:a6, XID
3c4000c0 IRQ 18
r8169: eth0: link up

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation QuickPath Architecture I/O Hub to
ESI Port (rev 12)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation QuickPath Architecture I/O Hub PCI
Express Root Port 1 (rev 12)
00:03.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation QuickPath Architecture I/O Hub PCI
Express Root Port 3 (rev 12)
00:07.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation QuickPath Architecture I/O Hub PCI
Express Root Port 7 (rev 12)
00:10.0 PIC: Intel Corporation QuickPath Interconnect Physical and Link
Layer Registers Port 0 (rev 12)
00:10.1 PIC: Intel Corporation QuickPath Interconnect Routing and
Protocol Layer Registers Port 0 (rev 12)
00:13.0 PIC: Intel Corporation QuickPath Architecture I/O Hub I/OxAPIC
Interrupt Controller (rev 12)
00:14.0 PIC: Intel Corporation QuickPath Architecture I/O Hub System
Management Registers (rev 12)
00:14.1 PIC: Intel Corporation QuickPath Architecture I/O Hub GPIO and
Scratch Pad Registers (rev 12)
00:14.2 PIC: Intel Corporation QuickPath Architecture I/O Hub Control
Status and RAS Registers (rev 12)
00:14.3 PIC: Intel Corporation QuickPath Architecture I/O Hub Throttle
Registers (rev 12)
00:1a.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) USB
UHCI Controller #4
00:1a.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) USB
UHCI Controller #5
00:1a.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) USB
UHCI Controller #6
00:1a.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) USB2
EHCI Controller #2
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) HD Audio
Controller
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) PCI Express
Port 1
00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) PCI Express
Port 3
00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) PCI Express
Port 4
00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) PCI Express
Port 5
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) USB
UHCI Controller #1
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) USB
UHCI Controller #2
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) USB
UHCI Controller #3
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) USB2
EHCI Controller #1
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev 90)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801JIR (ICH10R) LPC Interface
Controller
00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) 4 port
SATA IDE Controller
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) SMBus Controller
00:1f.5 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) 2 port
SATA IDE Controller
02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G72 [GeForce 7300
LE] (rev a1)
04:00.0 SATA controller: JMicron Technologies, Inc. JMicron 20360/20363
AHCI Controller (rev 03)
04:00.1 IDE interface: JMicron Technologies, Inc. JMicron 20360/20363
AHCI Controller (rev 03)
05:00.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): VIA Technologies, Inc. Device 3403
06:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 02)
08:00.0 SCSI storage controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd.
MV88SX6081 8-port SATA II PCI-X Controller (rev 09)
08:01.0 Mass storage controller: Promise Technology, Inc. PDC40718 (SATA
300 TX4) (rev 02)

# lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
nvidia               7797560  0