Subject: Re: [PATCH] dnet: Dave DNET ethernet controller driver

From: Riku Voipio <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 21:15:30 +0200

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 06:23:36AM -0700, David Miller wrote:
> That's what NVRAM, CMOS, EEPROM's and other writable long-term
> storage areas are for.

> To be quite honest with you, any ethernet device that doesn't
> have an EEPROM where the chip instance's ethernet address is
> stored is completely broken.

If that is the case, pretty much every SOHO NAS device (running
linux + samba) being sold in your nearest IT shop is completly
broken.

In such machines, typically the mac address is stored in bootloader's
configuration area in NOR/NAND flash.

-- 
"rm -rf" only sounds scary if you don't have backups
-------------------------------------------------------------------
List admin: http://lists.arm.linux.org.uk/mailman/listinfo/linux-arm-kernel
FAQ:        http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/mailinglists/faq.php
Etiquette:  http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/mailinglists/etiquette.php