Subject: Re: [Bugme-new] [Bug 12877] New: tg3: eth0 transit timed out, resetting -> dead NIC

From: Bernhard Schmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 14:21:21 +0100

On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 09:58:42AM -0700, Matt Carlson wrote:

Hello Matt,

> Hi Bernhard.  I talked to Michael about this and we'd like you to try
> two things.
> 
> 1) Can you disable iLo2 and see if you can still reproduce the problem?
> 2) Can you apply the following patch to get more information on when
>    MMIO gets disabled?

Not sure this is going to help you. NIC crashed two times tonight, logs
look like this

Mar 22 04:06:46 svr02 kernel: [1392136.468921] PCI Memory Mapped IO Disabled!!!!
Mar 22 04:06:47 svr02 kernel: [1392137.520288] PCI Memory Mapped IO Disabled!!!!
Mar 22 04:06:48 svr02 kernel: [1392138.568267] PCI Memory Mapped IO Disabled!!!!
Mar 22 04:06:49 svr02 kernel: [1392139.616266] PCI Memory Mapped IO Disabled!!!!
Mar 22 04:06:50 svr02 kernel: [1392140.664266] PCI Memory Mapped IO Disabled!!!!
Mar 22 04:06:51 svr02 kernel: [1392141.712276] PCI Memory Mapped IO Disabled!!!!
Mar 22 04:06:52 svr02 kernel: [1392142.760297] PCI Memory Mapped IO Disabled!!!!
Mar 22 04:06:53 svr02 kernel: [1392143.808258] PCI Memory Mapped IO Disabled!!!!
Mar 22 04:06:54 svr02 kernel: [1392144.856256] PCI Memory Mapped IO Disabled!!!!
Mar 22 04:06:55 svr02 kernel: [1392145.904266] PCI Memory Mapped IO Disabled!!!!
Mar 22 04:06:56 svr02 kernel: [1392146.952276] PCI Memory Mapped IO Disabled!!!!
Mar 22 04:06:57 svr02 kernel: [1392148.000267] PCI Memory Mapped IO Disabled!!!!
Mar 22 04:06:58 svr02 kernel: [1392149.048271] PCI Memory Mapped IO Disabled!!!!
Mar 22 04:06:59 svr02 kernel: [1392150.096268] PCI Memory Mapped IO Disabled!!!!
Mar 22 04:07:00 svr02 kernel: [1392151.144277] PCI Memory Mapped IO Disabled!!!!
Mar 22 04:07:01 svr02 kernel: [1392152.192287] PCI Memory Mapped IO Disabled!!!!
Mar 22 04:07:02 svr02 kernel: [1392153.240268] PCI Memory Mapped IO Disabled!!!!
Mar 22 04:07:03 svr02 kernel: [1392154.288267] PCI Memory Mapped IO Disabled!!!!
Mar 22 04:07:04 svr02 kernel: [1392155.336267] PCI Memory Mapped IO Disabled!!!!
Mar 22 04:07:05 svr02 kernel: [1392156.384268] PCI Memory Mapped IO Disabled!!!!
Mar 22 04:07:07 svr02 kernel: [1392157.432267] PCI Memory Mapped IO Disabled!!!!
Mar 22 04:07:08 svr02 kernel: [1392158.480266] PCI Memory Mapped IO Disabled!!!!
Mar 22 04:07:09 svr02 kernel: [1392159.528289] PCI Memory Mapped IO Disabled!!!!
Mar 22 04:07:10 svr02 kernel: [1392160.576297] PCI Memory Mapped IO Disabled!!!!
Mar 22 04:07:11 svr02 kernel: [1392161.624277] PCI Memory Mapped IO Disabled!!!!
Mar 22 04:07:12 svr02 kernel: [1392162.672267] PCI Memory Mapped IO Disabled!!!!
Mar 22 04:07:13 svr02 kernel: [1392163.720266] PCI Memory Mapped IO Disabled!!!!
Mar 22 04:07:14 svr02 kernel: [1392164.768266] PCI Memory Mapped IO Disabled!!!!

at this point the "watchdog" kicked in and did rmmod/modprobe, so I
think the only thing you can read out of this debugging log is that
there was no kernel message right before MMIO got disabled and it takes
quite a while to fire the Tx timeout.

Mar 22 04:07:15 svr02 kernel: [1392165.540078] tg3 0000:03:04.1: PCI INT B disabled
Mar 22 04:07:16 svr02 kernel: [1392166.817125] tg3: tg3_abort_hw timed out for eth0, TX_MODE_ENABLE will not clear MAC_TX_MODE=ffffffff
Mar 22 04:07:18 svr02 kernel: [1392168.398844] tg3: eth0: No firmware running.
Mar 22 04:07:29 svr02 kernel: [1392179.793309] tg3: eth0: Link is down.
Mar 22 04:07:31 svr02 kernel: [1392181.896030] tg3 0000:03:04.0: PCI INT A disabled
Mar 22 04:07:33 svr02 kernel: [1392183.957132] tg3.c:v3.94 (August 14, 2008)
Mar 22 04:07:33 svr02 kernel: [1392184.020034] tg3 0000:03:04.0: enabling device (0000 -> 0002)
Mar 22 04:07:33 svr02 kernel: [1392184.086083] tg3 0000:03:04.0: PCI INT A -> GSI 16 (level, low) -> IRQ 16

I'm now switching to eth1.

Bernhard