Subject: Re: [PATCH] netconsole: fix BUG during net device "upping"

From: Jarek Poplawski <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 08:22:14 +0000

On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 08:11:58AM +0000, Jarek Poplawski wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 01:05:41AM -0700, David Miller wrote:
> > From: Jarek Poplawski <[email-masked]>
> > Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 08:04:55 +0000
> > 
> > > What is the rationale of this decision? printk is a basic tool,
> > > especially designed to work in as many places as possible, and
> > > netconsole is rather something secondary (sorry Matt)?!
> > 
> > And this basic tool cannot work from the drivers ->open() method.
> 
> And in any function used in the drivers ->open(). BTW, with Marcin's
> patch it can...

And from any function called anywhere on another cpu while driver's
->open() is running.

BTW, I've had a look at this and it seems the main problem is
netif_tx_stopped() isn't handled properly by the driver(s).

Jarek P.