Subject: Re: [PATCH -tip 0/3] expedited "big hammer" RCU grace periods

From: Ingo Molnar <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 11:59:53 +0200

* Paul E. McKenney <[email-masked]> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 08:03:03PM +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> > 
> > * Paul E. McKenney <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > 
> > >  include/linux/rcuclassic.h    |   15 ++-
> > 
> > heh, we dont have this file anymore ... as of today, right? :)
> 
> Ah, I was assuming that expedited RCU would happen before removal 
> of Classic RCU.

Our general preference is to zap code.

/me stares at:

  $ git diff --stat -M v2.6.30..v2.6.31-rc1 | tail -1
  7743 files changed, 782278 insertions(+), 403162 deletions(-)

/me corrects himself:

Okay, so the zapping of code is the divine guiding principle we've 
been following for 15 years. Ending up with a kernel that is 11 
million lines of code is a small imperfection of mankind and is to 
be fixed.

	Ingo