Subject: Re: [PATCH] net: fix race in the receive/select

From: Andi Kleen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 19:29:38 +0200

On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 10:59:57AM -0600, Zan Lynx wrote:
> Andi Kleen wrote:
> >At least on x86 I can't see how it happens. mb() is only a compile
> >time barrier and the compiler doesn't optimize over indirect callbacks
> >like __pollwait() anyways.
> 
> Just a note about this. That used to be true, that GCC didn't optimize 
> indirect calls. However, see -findirect-inlining in GCC 4.4.

I am aware of that, but ...

> 
> I am not saying that it applies here, but it is something to remember.

... it doesn't apply here because it works only for a few very simple
cases that don't apply for this code. Besides the kernel builds with -O2,
which only inlines functions called once or very small functions, which
also rules this out.

-Andi

-- 
[email-masked] -- Speaking for myself only.