Subject: Re: [PATCH] Speed-up pfifo_fast lookup using a bitmap

From: Jarek Poplawski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 23:36:43 +0200

On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 06:54:58PM +0530, Krishna Kumar wrote:
> ďťżHi Jarek,
> 
> Jarek Poplawski <[email-masked]> wrote on 08/14/2009 04:31:27 PM:
> 
> > Alas, private or public, these values are lower on average than
> > before, so I'm not sure the complexity (especially in reading) added
> > by this patch is worth it. So, I can only say it looks formally OK,
> > except the changelog and maybe 2 cosmetical suggestions below.
> 
> Maybe the different test parameters result in smaller improvements.
> I agree with you - the first approach is very readable and probably
> preferable, while the second introduces a new structure and more
> complexity.

Actually, I meant the complexity added by any of these versions. If
you declare: "This helps in faster lookup for a skb when there are no
high priority skbs.", there is a question if less than 1% is enough.

> I am sending both these versions a last time, after fixing your
> comments in case someone can help decide if one or the other is
> better (sorry I forgot to run checkpatch couple of times, will try
> to remember next time).

I definitely can't see a reason to make this variable public, and
prefer the private (v2) version (which still lacks a changelog, btw).

Thanks,
Jarek P.