Subject: Re: Receive side performance issue with multi-10-GigE and NUMA

From: Ingo Molnar <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 21:48:35 +0200

* David Miller <[email-masked]> wrote:

> From: Ingo Molnar <[email-masked]>
> Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 21:08:30 +0200
> 
> > Sigh, no. Please re-read the past discussions about this. 
> > trace_skb_sources.c is a hack and should be converted to generic 
> > tracepoints. Is there anything in it that cannot be expressed in 
> > terms of TRACE_EVENT()?
> 
> Neil explained why he needed to implement it this way in his reply 
> to Steven Rostedt.  I attach it here for your convenience.

thanks. The argument is invalid:

> > BTW, why not just do this as events? Or was this just a easy way 
> > to communicate with the user space tools?
> 
> Thats exactly why I did it.  the idea is for me to now write a 
> user space tool that lets me analyze the events and ajust process 
> scheduling to optimize the rx path. Neil

All tooling (in fact _more_ tooling) can be done based on generic, 
TRACE_EVENT() based tracepoints. Generic tracepoints are far more 
available, have a generalized format with format parsers and user 
tooling implemented, etc. etc.

	Ingo