Subject: Re: [PATCHv5 3/3] vhost_net: a kernel-level virtio server

From: Arnd Bergmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 17:22:37 +0200

On Wednesday 16 September 2009, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 04:57:42PM +0200, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> > On Tuesday 15 September 2009, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> > > Userspace in x86 maps a PCI region, uses it for communication with ppc?
> > 
> > This might have portability issues. On x86 it should work, but if the
> > host is powerpc or similar, you cannot reliably access PCI I/O memory
> > through copy_tofrom_user but have to use memcpy_toio/fromio or readl/writel
> > calls, which don't work on user pointers.
> > 
> > Specifically on powerpc, copy_from_user cannot access unaligned buffers
> > if they are on an I/O mapping.
> > 
> We are talking about doing this in userspace, not in kernel.

Ok, that's fine then. I thought the idea was to use the vhost_net driver
to access the user memory, which would be a really cute hack otherwise,
as you'd only need to provide the eventfds from a hardware specific
driver and could use the regular virtio_net on the other side.

	Arnd <><

--
To unsubscribe, send a message with 'unsubscribe linux-mm' in
the body to [email-masked].  For more info on Linux MM,
see: http://www.linux-mm.org/ .
Don't email: <a href=mailto:"[email-masked]"> [email-masked] </a>