Subject: Re: SO_TIMESTAMPING fix and design decisions

From: Christopher Zimmermann <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 09:52:42 +0200

On Sat, 19 Sep 2009 15:09:21 -0700
Peter P Waskiewicz Jr <[email-masked]> wrote:

> > hardware timestamps only work for the Intel igb driver. I have 
> > access to two test machines with NICs supported by this driver.
> 
> Intel's 82599, supported by ixgbe, also has the same IEEE 1588
> timestamping support in hardware.  We haven't implemented the support
> yet in ixgbe, but the hardware is there and does work.  If you were
> curious of the interface, the datasheet for the hardware is available on
> our SourceForge site (e1000.sf.net).

hi! thanks for the reply.

I already got the documentation for the 82576 cards I have access to. I 
won't be able to afford another pair.

What do you think about my idea to expose the relevant registers to 
userspace? I believe it would not be too difficult for userspace to 
configure the timestamps this way and would allow way more flexibility. 
Of course I would #DEFINE the constants used to set the registers.

Christopher Zimmermann