Subject: Re: PATCH: Network Device Naming mechanism and policy

From: Matt Domsch <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 13:44:29 -0500

On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 01:35:25PM -0500, Rob Townley wrote:
> > Again, is what we currently have broken?  I am confused as to what this
> > is referring to.
> 
> Yes, ping and traceroute are broken at least on Fedora, CentOS, and busybox.
> On a multinic, multigatewayed machine, passing ethX instead of the IP
> address will give the false result: "Destination Host Unreachable"
> when the machine's default gateway is reached thru the other nic.   In
> the following example, the default gateway is thru eth1, not eth0.

Unrelated to this thread.  We're having a hard enough time making sure
this conversation accurately reflects the views and needs of everyone
involved.  Please let's not throw in another tangent.

Thanks,
Matt

-- 
Matt Domsch
Technology Strategist, Dell Office of the CTO
linux.dell.com & www.dell.com/linux