Subject: Re: [announce] new rt2800 drivers for Ralink wireless & project tree

From: Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2009 19:30:13 +0100

On Friday 06 November 2009 18:58:56 Ivo van Doorn wrote:

> drivers/net/staging/rt28{6,7}0 was developed by Ralink and I acked

The original vendor drivers were:
- rt2860
- rt2870
- rt3070
- rt3090

Each weighting ~100 KLOC.

The current staging drivers (rt2860 w/ RT3090 support and rt2870 w/ RT3070
support) are the result of my work on getting staging drivers under control
(+ trying some new strategies of dealing with ugly code) and weight ~75 KLOC
_together_ (they share the wireless stack code).

> the merged for those drivers after the asurance that it was only merged
> to please the users so developers could focus on the rt2x00 version of
> the driver.

Could somebody please explain me (in the public or in the private) what is
the reason behind whole affair about staging drivers because all the time
I feel like I'm missing some important detail here.  It would a lot more
productive than all the things that I could hear about my agenda, my work
or my intellectual abilities in the past.

[ Like I said before I got only interested into them in April this year
  while doing casual staging cleanups and I'm not affiliated with any
  distribution vendor. ]

Thanks.
-- 
Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz
--
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-wireless" in
the body of a message to [email-masked]
More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html