Subject: Re: sky2: unsupported chip type 0xff failure

From: Stephen Hemminger <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2010 11:13:30 -0800

On Sun, 3 Jan 2010 01:48:58 +0300
Gregory Petrosyan <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I've got an HP ProBook 5310m laptop with Marvell Ethernet controller. sky2 reports
> 
> [14252.318867] sky2 driver version 1.23
> [14252.318904] sky2 0000:03:00.0: setting latency timer to 64
> [14252.318951] sky2 0000:03:00.0: unsupported chip type 0xff
> [14252.318960] sky2: probe of 0000:03:00.0 failed with error -95
> 
> (this is captured after 'modprobe -r' + 'modprobe') and I've seen it working
> only 1 time (probably after a reboot).

The chip id is one of the first things read from the device. If the PCI
read gets an error, then the value is all-ones.

The issue is not directly in the driver, but with the power control for
that device. 

Try the latest kernel (even 2.6.33-rc2) to make sure the problem isn't
already fixed. 

--