Subject: Re: [PATCH 6/13] bridge: Add core IGMP snooping support

From: "Paul E. McKenney" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 13:25:56 -0800

On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 06:56:53PM +0100, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> On Wednesday 10 March 2010, David Miller wrote:
> > From: "Paul E. McKenney" <[email-masked]>
> > Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 08:26:58 -0800
> >
> > > I have -tip commit a898def29e4119bc01ebe7ca97423181f4c0ea2d that
> > > converts some of the rcu_dereference()s in net/core/filter.c,
> > > net/core/dev.c, net/decnet/dn_route.c, net/packet/af_packet.c, and
> > > net/ipv4/route.c to rcu_dereference_bh().
> > > 
> > > How should we coordinate the removal of the rcu_read_lock() calls?
> > 
> > Paul if you want to do this via your tree, feel free.
> 
> My feeling is that this should be combined with the annotations I'm doing,
> annotating one subsystem at a time, and doing changes like these in the
> process. I'm still unsure what interface extensions there will have to
> be, but I guess we can the new interfaces as empty wrappers in the 2.6.34
> phase, and do all of the conversions where there are potential or real
> bugs.
> 
> All the other annotations can get queued in subsystem maintainer trees
> where it makes sense or get put in one tree for all the others, to be
> merged in after 2.6.34 is out.

Makes sense to me -- and thank you, Arnd, for taking this on!!!

							Thanx, Paul